Are you the type of person who likes to go through the storm, watch yourself transform, evolve, or are you the type who wants the end result immediately, instant gratification? Me, I want the immediate. I went to church Wednesday and watched a weekly devotional by Kasey Van Norman, titled, Named By God and she spoke about how God wants us to go through storms, not because He wants to see us suffer but because He wants to watch us trust in Him and seek His face.
As I was listening to her speak, I began internalizing two storms in my life:
1. My health (weight) - All my life I have had a slight weight issue. I have always eaten unhealthy, been a little lazy at times and always, always, always wanted immediate gratification. My mind has always been on that perfect figure and not how I was going to get there. I have taken diet pills, went to a plastic surgeon's office to see how much it would cost to have a tummy tuck, colon cleanses, etc. All the while, realizing these things only lasted but for a moment. I didn't seek God, repent for my gluttony, and begin a journey of faith and transformation WITH God. I always wanted to take control and figure it out myself. HELLO!!!! This doesn't work. I am 34 years old and I am just now figuring this out...Needless to say, Thank the Lord, I am figuring it out and with His help, I am going to walk through this storm and transform.
2. My new house - In 2008, we sold our house to pursue my life long dream of building my dream home. We purchased land and thought it would only take us two years to pay off our debt, so we could move into a new home debt free. Well, it is 2013 and we are still living in an approx. 900 sq foot 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. This home is in my husbands family and is over 70 years old. We are very blessed to live here, rent free. HOWEVER, this whole time, I have complained about how small this house is, how old it is, how dirty it is, it isn't new and pretty, AND why aren't we in our new house, it will never happen, etc. Over time, my negativity has spilled into my kids ears and my heart has lost hope. I truly know in my heart our new house is right around the corner and it will happen, yet, my attitude and lack of faith has really made me realize where my focus has been. I have been very selfish and tried to be in control of this situation for years.
Needless to say, God is showing me put my focus on HIM and not on myself. At least I have a somewhat healthy body and a home!! RIGHT!! Let's try to look at the positive while walking through the storm! This is the teachable moment that God is preparing us to help others for the future.
Where are you in your life? Are you going through a storm? Can you share it with me? How are you coping with your storm?
Lord, I come to you in Jesus Name, and I ask that you will please forgive me for my selfish ways. I thank you so much for helping me realize where my focus needs to be and that it is a good thing for me to go through these storms. I want to grow and become more like YOU! Father, I pray that you will help me keep my focus off of the end results and more on my transformation into my healthy lifestyle and my new house! In Jesus Name, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment